Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane Irene with 100% Chance of Flurry

image of Hurricane Irene from space courtesy of www.nasa.gov
 Hope all East Coast residents (two- and four-legged) stay safe and dry in this monster of a hurricane.  Sounds like extreme rain and flooding is headed your way.

I hope everyone has their disaster preparedness kits ready and stocked up on water, food, manual can-opener, Starbucks Via, pet food, and if you have cats, cat litter. 

 I am sad that Irene bypassed Georgia without sending some rain bands our way.  We really need some rain.  



I am a big weather nerd and have been listening/watching the coverage all day.  (S. is not a weather nerd and has no interest in watching windbreakered reporters standing in wind & rain shouting into the camera for hours on end.)

Since there was no weather event here in the ATL (still hot low to mid-90F and sunny), I worked on the le petite project for this month and finished it up.  The pattern is a Schnibble called Honeycomb by Miss Rosie and the fabric is Flurry by Kate Spain for Moda.

I love working with these cool, icy, wintery fabrics while the A/C is running, running, running. 

This Schnibble was fun to make and the hexagons were easier to make than I thought they would be. 


8 comments:

*karendianne. said...

What a fantastic Schnibble. These hexagons are delightful and I agree - the fabrics are fun. What a great holiday piece. Gosh, now I want to make one. I think they call that inspiration my friend!!! Thank you. :) Here in J'ville we did get some rain from the outer bands Wednesday and Thursday. That was enough for me. It's such a burning out experience living in the aftermath of the hurricane but of course your event this summer was kind of like that. …power outage and all. Extreme Living! *karendianne.

sunny said...

I'm one of those nerds who will watch windbreakered reporters shout into the mic all day! Sorry you didn't get any rain. We're not getting as much as hoped. Love your quilt!

sewprimitive karen said...

Hi, Gretchen, what a photo of the storm. I watched hours of the coverage, too, because I was so worried about Timothy (the thing made landfall exactly where he was???). He's fine, called in the middle of it!

Leah said...

Your Hexagon quilt looks lovely! I still have to piece mine together, I better get busy. The end of the month is fast approaching!

Shakerwood said...

We had the perfect amount of rain here in the Piedmont of the Carolinas this summer UNTIL two weeks ago. Then nothing! We were hoping for some of the residual rain but only had some wind. Still good weather to stay inside and sew! Too hot and dry to do any yard work.....

Unknown said...

Love your latest Schnibble. I want to know how come the Atl weather guy was up in No. Carolina? Missed you last night!

Carol said...

Love your Schnibble...makes me feel cooler...we're supposed to have heat index of 105 today...the storm didn't give us much rain either and has sucked all the moisture out of the air and left it HOT! I'll be inside today.

Barb said...

I love love what you are working on and I just found that stitchery from another blog that you have below...hope to work on it soon.