Friday, January 14, 2011

Snow-pocalypse Days 3-5

Greetings from Hoth-lanta!  Yes this is Day 5 of most of the metro area being under ice.  You need a Tauntaun to get around this city.

I don't have a Tauntaun so I've been at home all week.






Why can't people in Atlanta get out of their house when it snows? 

This photo says it all!

Not to mention we had freezing rain on top of the 4-6" inches of snow around the city.

The ice is the worst because we don't have enough sand, salt, or gravel to spread on all interstates let alone the major streets and secondary roads.  Small streets, subdivisions, and everyone else are on their own. Seriously, I saw a postal worker sprinkling salt from her truck yesterday.  It appeared to be coarse salt that one would use for cooking.  Poor Atlanta....
"creme brulee snow" an icy crust on top of snow


In case we needed to get out sometime. I went out yesterday to shovel the driveway....







with my garden shovel


For future reference, garden shovels are not every snow-efficient. 

The sun shining on the ice
 What else was going on these past few days?  Very little.  I read a Stephen King book, Full Dark No Stars (a really great book to read on cold winter nights and one of his better books of late in my opinion.)

We watched a lot of local news, always entertaining to see 15 mile backups on closed interstates, cars sliding around on ice, and reports of empty grocery store shelves.

I worked on work stuff from home.



I worked on the endless Roll Roll Cotton Boll quilt.

The cats stayed warm by sleeping on heat vents. 


 





I wished I had some sled dogs.

I just have erstwhile sled cats....


Instead of sleeping curled up in the snow like sled dogs, "sled cats" sleep curled up in quilts. Go figure...

10 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh my gosh, I laughed all through this. I just can't bring myself to try the garden shovel. I knowwwww how poorly shaped it is for shoveling snow just by eyeing it. I wish I had thought of the Star Wars picture; it's been exactly like that here. Just hilarious.

Unknown said...

Post in Awesomeness!!!

I haven't laughed like that in a while.

Hope the warmer temps bring some much needed relief.

Unknown said...

Gsrden shovels works well if you first use the hammer to break the ice...this I know from first hand experience! And now I'll say it again: I don't care if it ever snows again. Snow is why I left NY

dianne said...

whooda thunk you'd need a snow shovel in atlanta?!? they are standard equipment here - but my Tauntaun keeps eating them, so i'm on my seventh one - ha ha ha!

Gina said...

We were exactly the same over here before Christmas so I pity you.
Cooking salt is good for melting the ice and snow but it won't work on deep stuff.

Keep warm and safe

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Karmen said...

My dustpan worked better than my shovel, but the ice is impossible to remove. My poor pups are still having to crack through the top layer of ice in the yard. I love your little sled cats! Mush....

Unknown said...

You found a shovel? Glad we got ours up when it was mostly snow.

Cathi said...

I hope it has started to warm up there for you! A garden shovel? Sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh. ;-)

Gari in AL said...

I am so glad I didn't read this prior to our leaving for VA to pick up my car (from a snow accident on 12/26). Went through Atlanta on 1/16 headed north and1/17 headed south. Thanks for clearing I 85 for us.

marti said...

Hi - loved looking at your site. I googled image for 'curled up cats' for a painting, or actually pastel, that I am attempting and saw your Stella Bella photo. THus, I came across your site. I also do quilt paintings and your Kansas Troubles is very similar to my painting. THe blues and on the tilt.

super work!
Marti