Saturday, October 3, 2009

October at last

I'm so glad it's October. Fall has arrived in Atlanta with cooler weather, less humidity, and clearer skies. October is my birthday month and my favorite holiday, Halloween, wraps up the month with fun and candy purchases, always with the pretense that I'll actually get a trick or treater or two this year.

I took a little blogging break because I was just tired and didn't have much to say. No sewing this past week or last weekend. Just a lot of vegging with the cats, taking naps, and reading books. Working more hours at Starbucks and my feet hurt all the time and the house is a mess.

But now it's October, it's three days into the month, and it's going to be a better month. It's time for apple cider and Halloween mugs.
I feel better already.

I read two great books this past week. I highly recommend both of them. The first is The Confederate General Rides North by Amanda C. Gable.


I loved the main character in this book, 11-year old Kat McConnell. The author so realistically captures the imagination and spirit of an intelligent, curious girl trying to understand and comprehend the world around her while dealing with the uncertainty of the moods and action of an apparently bi-polar mother. It's a tale told with truth and heart.

The second book is Homer's Odyssey: A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned about Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat by Gwen Cooper.
I liked Dewey, the Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World better. But really, I'm a sucker for a good, touching cat story. And besides, Homer is the most awesome name for a blind cat ever. Readers who are owned by cats will not be astonished at the capability, love, and fearlessness of Homer. We know that if cats had thumbs, they would rule the world.

I'm off to catch up on catching up now. Happy Autumn!

5 comments:

dianne said...

that's what i need - some hot apple cider and a reading break!

i love october, too ... it's not my birthday month, but it is always full of color and storms and good comfort food, innit?!?

Carol said...

Welcome back! You were missed. Glad you're feeling better.

Karmen said...

I really like your book recommendations, and now I want to find myself a fall or Halloween themed coffee mug. I would like to celebrate the season that way, too.

Cathi said...

I think I'd like October a whole lot more if it didn't mean winter was getting closer and closer!

Becky said...

Oh gosh! I need a Halloween/Autumn mug, too. I too have been "resting" or taking a break from my blog. Just didn't feel like it :) I'm loving this cool weather. I'm ready for the fall color. Have a great week!