Thursday, October 15, 2009

I think it started with childhood...

I think my love for all things Halloween and spooky and weird started in childhood with one of my absolute favorite books The Witch in the Cherry Tree by Margaret Mahy.
I don't know what happened to my original hardback book over the years and every once and awhile, I would search for a used copy online. Well I finally scored one on alibris.com at a very cheap price and although it's paperback, I am overjoyed to have a copy again.

If you are unfamiliar with the book, here's the summary "one damp, dull day David's mother is baking cakes. Everything is fine until a naughty old witch comes to settle in the cherry tree in the garden. [The witch] tries to outwit David and persuade his mother to part with the cakes..." I think still think it's a fun story and am glad I haven't grown up that much.

I love this page with the witch dancing in the yard conjuring up a rainstorm of great big purple clouds and lightning. If I was a witch, I'd dance in the yard just like this.

I also love this page
The witch is sulking in the cherry tree because she has so far failed in her attempt to trick David out of some cupcakes. Look at those great red socks! And the shoes!! Pointy black shoes with heels and buckles. How cool!

Just so you are not in suspense, the story does have a happy ending and the witch does get some cupcakes. And she makes it stop raining so David can play outside. This is what I learned from the book and remembered all these years: everyone loves cupcakes and be nice to witches in red socks and cool shoes.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I too, LOVE that book and have read it many, many times.

I am currently on a cupcake roll...check out my profile on that other place we meet up on for what I made tonight. Yesterdays cupcakes are on today's post.

sewprimitive karen said...

You should be a children's librarian, Gretchen!

*karendianne. said...

Gosh this is such a neat story, a delightful story and a wonderful window into one aspect of your spirit. Thank you for sharing!!!!

(ps: I want me some cupcakes and some blue heels!)

Unknown said...

I can't wait until tomorrow and some honest to goodness fun. I may have to whip up some cupcakes tonight ot maybe just let Publix whip them up!

Unknown said...

That is one of my favorite halloween books. My all time favorite Halloween book is
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Halloween is my second favorite holiday, Christmas of course being my favorite.