Friday, October 23, 2009

Autumn in Michigan

Hello from Michigan!! [Waving to Cathy at Quilt Obsession since I am 900 miles closer] I arrived on Wednesday evening to spend my birthday weekend with my family and enjoy a change of scenery.

Wednesday was a perfect autumn day here. I had forgotten how beautiful fall leaves were in the north. There are pumpkins everywhere, cornstalks in the fields, and houses decorated for Halloween.

Thursday, we went on our traditional when-I-visit-quilt-shop-hop to Lake St. Mercantile and Guildcrafters. My mom and my SIL found the fabrics they were looking for and I bought some helping-the-Michigan-economy fabric (the BEST kind!). We had a fabulous lunch at my favorite deli (The Bread Basket) where they have HUGE sandwiches and make their own bread, corned beef, brisket, etc. I had pastrami and swiss on rye and brought half of it home. Because we were too full from lunch, we skipped dinner and went to Cook's Dairy later for ice cream. (Do I have a great family or what?) I brought a quilt kit with me and got it cut out last night too.

Today it is raining, but we are going to ignore that and go to a cider mill and hopefully a pumpkin patch for pumpkins. Also a trip to Mabelena's quilt shop. I'll post photos when I get back to GA.

Happy Fall Y'all!!!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you are having a fabulous time and look forward to seeing photos when you get back!!

*karendianne. said...

Oh Gretchen it sounds like you're having an absolutely fantastic trip. I'm so happy reading your post. Warming and with many hugs, *karendianne.

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Have a wonderful birthday weekend girlie..Sounds like you are makin the rounds. Can't wait for photos!

Tomorrow is the big day. Celebrate big! Happy Birthday one day early!

Pat

sewprimitive karen said...

Really I can't wait to see pictures. The midwest is so beautiful. Love the ice cream - for - dinner, I've been doing that myself lately only I doubt if the ice cream was as good as what you had!

Carol said...

ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY! Will be looking forward to your pics!
Happy, Happy Birthday!

dianne said...

happy birthday weekend to you - and have a GREAT TIME!!!

Cathi said...

Hope you have a wonderful birthday weekend!! And I'm waving right back! :-) Sounds like a great time!

Gina said...

What a great time you are having. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and belated birthday wishes to you

Love and hugs Gina xx

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to you....I know you are having a wonderful weekend. Hipe you find lots of goodies for show and tell. Ice cream for dinner...do it all the time-save time eat dessert first!
Karin

Unknown said...

Have a great birthday weekend. Enjoy your family and the weather.

Mama Spark said...

Um...HELLO...You are so close to me and yet no phone call? I meet Pat are Bell Creek Quilts in South Lyon. It is a stones throw from me. If you are still in SE MI call me!

734-812-7547