Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Holidays-Eve

We beleaguered state employees received a "get-out-of-work-at-2:00PM-today" email. So I skedaddled out of there and have the night off of SBux (you can tell there's a recession when I am not working every night at SBux during the holidays...). I am cooking my holiday dinner tonight since I do work all day tomorrow.

S. and I are having roast chicken, glazed carrots and parsnips, salad, and for dessert apple pie. I wish I was having Christmas dinner with Amanda in England (see her menu here). But this will have to do. I love baking and when I have time--it's one of my favorite things to do.

Whole Foods had these beautiful Empire apples on sale. They are crispy and slightly tart--perfect for baking. I have enough to make 2 pies, one for now and one for the freezer to have later.
Yes, I am a food snob (and Martha wanna-be)and make my own pie crust. Today, I decided to make a French apple pie with a sweet crumb top crust.
Ta da! Can't wait for dessert and coffee and presents!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

All I can say is Yum-O!

What time did you want me to come over again? LOL

Enjoy your wonderful evening.

Marlene

laurie said...

Wow! I have a pie envy going on! Enjoy the night off, and Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

The pie looks wonderful. I'm sure it will be the best ever. Have a Merry merrt Christmas.

Becky said...

I love apple pie. Coffee and pie, it doesn't get much better than that. I'm impressed that you made the entire thing. Mrs. Smith makes our pies :)