Monday, April 28, 2008

A Tribute to a Feisty Lady

Forgive me for a sad post.
I said goodbye to Morticia today. It is so hard to let pets go but she has not been doing well, has been having breathing problems, and it was time. This photo is a couple of years old because ladies should always look their best in tributes.
She had such a quirky personality. I adopted her at 6 mo. old and unlike all my other cats, she didn't like playing or sleeping as a group but preferred to be by herself. She was sweet and funny and feisty and smart. She went through some "terrible twos" for a while and would terrorize my other 2 older cats and the black lab I had at the time so much that she would be put in "time out" in the bathroom for 2 min. till she calmed down. She quickly learned what "time out" meant and soon all you had to say was "Tish time out" and she would march in the bathroom and sit on the bath mat. Even after her terrible twos, she liked to hang out on the bath mat.
She also liked to drink out of the faucet and would meow at the top of her lungs to get someone to run the faucet for her. She never did learn what water conservation was and that we shouldn't leave water dripping during the drought. When my dad remodeled the bathroom for me a couple of years ago, he took out the sink and Morticia threw a fit because her sink was gone. Of course we didn't help matters by repeatedly asking "Tish where's your sink?" And she would meow and meow at us indignantly like she was saying "how dare you remove my sink!" She was really happy when a new sink appeared with a better faucet for drinking. That's how I knew she was really doing badly recently because she stopped asking for water from the faucet.
I am comforted that I could give her a graceful and dignified last day. I have the kindest vet and he really is great with my cats. I took her there mid-morning and Morticia passed away in my arms with no pain. I hope she is somewhere where faucets always drip with cool water and she can be her feisty smart self.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about Morticia even though you told me it was coming. I can't help but cry anyway. She was such a smart girl! I too have a boy who prefers his water running ans sits in the sink until I open the faucet up. He is having a tough time having to use the baathroom sink while Bailey is in residence.
I know that Morticia knew that she was well loved. It is such a tough thing to do.

Becky said...

Oh, Gretch! My heart goes out to you. Morticia had one lucky day when your paths crossed. Loved hearing the "time out" story. Our pets so enrich our lives. Morticia was lucky to have "trained" you as her pet.

Take care!

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry about your poor kitty...like I've said before, I have no doubt she was well loved during her time on earth and she gave you much love in return. I loved your "time-out" story! My Smokey loves to drink out of the sink faucet in our bathroom as well, but he'll just sit there until someone walks by and sees that he's waiting. He just looks at you as if he can't believe he had to wait so long...a little meow would help! :) Sending you HUGS!

Amanda said...

You must be feeling very bereft. It's hard to lose any cat, but especially so with a cat of great character. But at least she had a peaceful end, in your arms. And that will comfort you. I still feel guilty about a cat of mine who died at home, while I was at work.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

So sorry to read your news. It's so hard to lose a family pet. Sending you cyber (((hugs)))

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

Oh Gretchen! So sorry to hear of Morticias passing... I'm thinking of you and hoping you are comforted by loving happy memories of your sweet pet.
Pat

Sarah Ann Smith said...

What a wonderful name, and what a wonderful memory! I feel for you having lost Yeti recently. I hope she and my beloved Cassy-Cat have found each other.. Cass loved dripping faucets, too! Sending belated but heartfelt hugs, Sarah