Sunday, December 15, 2013

Design Floor

Taking advantage of my four sewing helpers being in Santa Fe, I've had this quilt-in-progress spread out on the living room floor for a few days.  (It also helps that nearly all the furniture is in Santa Fe too).  There is no way the cats' would've left this alone for two seconds without rearranging the blocks.

[sorry for the dark photo--I'll get a better one when it's finished & not night & not overcast]

This was a fun fabric swap that my quilt friends and I did a couple of years back. The pattern is "Long Road Home" by Red Crinoline Quilts.  My friends and I swapped the neutral alternating blocks and strips of shirtings and dark/mediums for the pieced blocks.  I think this was the fourth fabric swap we did and I also think I'm the last one to finish up this quilt.  Instead of a red solid for the setting triangles, I'm using a yummy purple tone-on-tone floral.  This is a warm and cozy looking quilt--perfect for cold winter nights.

Have you done a fabric swap with friends?  It's a great way to make quilts that call for lots of different fabrics.  It's also a great way to use fabrics that are a bit outside of your box. It's also helpful to have a math wizard in your swap.  We had Kristie, who figured out the math and created charts with participants, how many strips of fabric to cut, etc.

More tomorrow. I need to get busy on my Christmas cards before Christmas is over LOL.

7 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I really like this quilt already.

Cathi said...

It is going to be a beautiful quilt!

QuiltSue said...

What a great quilt. Your colours make it look lovely and soft.

Sharon E said...

That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing and giving me ideas!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love your quilt!! Red Crinoline quilt patterns are so awesome.

Unknown said...

Love your quilt, mine still needs to be quilted.

Michele said...

Very nice :-) A fabric swap sounds like fun. Christmas snuck up on me too.