Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Antique Quilt

I thought everyone would like a quilty post since I haven't been able to show the projects I'm currently working on (Secret Stuff ya know). When I was in Michigan in October, my grandparents gave me this quilt top that they found while cleaning out their basement.
Don't you just love the one red block? I really love how it is not in the center; it's just in there in the quilt. The colors are just gorgeous--no fading and only a couple of spots that should come out.
Here is a close up. My grandparents think that this was pieced by my great-great-grandma since there are some other quilts in the family that she made.

Here is the back so you can see how it was constructed.
And a close up of the stitching.

I don't know whether I should "finish" the quilt or not. If I were to finish it, my thought are I would get a solid backing of a similar color, layer it with cotton batting, and stitch in the ditch. But I don't know if I want to do that or not. What are your thoughts?

7 comments:

Gari in AL said...

If it were me, I would be afraid I would ruin it, but I would probably quilt it anyway. I think it stands a better chance of lasting if it is backed and quilted but that's just my opinion and not a professional's.

Carol said...

What a wonderful, wonderful treasure!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

BRING THAT QUILT TO THIMBLES! Zowiee that is a complete and wonderful treasure. Yes finish it..but how about hand quilting?

Are you there...did you faint?

Pat

dianne said...

she's gorgeous!!! a family treasure - and she's YOURS!!! let her light shine! whatever it takes to do that is what you should do ... i'm thinking hand quilting, too - but i am mediocre at hand quilting and would probably not trust myself to do her justice ...... the saddest thing you could do is to put her back into storage

Needled Mom said...

How interesting that they would piece the colored sections in four pieces! It would definitely need hand quilting. I can't imagine machine quilting after so much hand work went into it. Enjoy!

Cathi said...

Wow -- how gorgeous! Definitely something to treasure. I'd be tempted to hand quilt it.

Unknown said...

I love the antique quilt. I don't know if I would finish it or not. Whatever you decide will be great.