Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Recent Reads

I'm a trying to get through the Battle of New Orleans in this book:
so I can start this book:
Hurry up Lafitte & Jackson--the war is over already! I *must* find out what happens to Bella and Edward!!!

I wanted to read 1812 because it's kind of a lesser known war--sandwiched between the Revolution and Civil War and I wanted to learn more about it. The book is OK--not the best history reading. The author veered off into colloquialisms a bit too much and there was an over-use of exclamation points for a history book in my opinion. During the battle of Fort McHenry, the author takes a leisurely stroll through Clicheville in describing the inspiration for "The Star-Spangled Banner" but overall the book got the job done and I do know more about the War of 1812. I do recommend it if you want to know more about this period in history; it's not dry and a quick read.
A book I highly recommend is Franklin & Winston by Jon Meacham.
This is one of the best books I've read this summer. It is both a biography of these great men and a history of World War II. It is an engaging and fascinating look at the unique friendship between FDR and Churchill. The book restored my faith that (at least at one time) there were great, intelligent, thoughtful, leaders in government who cared deeply and unselfishly about everyday people.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Laurie spent last weekend reading Breaking Dawn. One of her friends from here sent it over to her. She is holding up okay but now very anxious to get home to Bailey

MelissaS said...

Breaking Dawn....I really liked it.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, I made it to Island Books, GREAT STORE!! HUGS, MARY