Sunday, April 11, 2010

My Arch Nemesis

I have met my arch nemesis and its name is POLLEN!!! Does anyone else in the country or world have a problem with spring pollen or is it just Atlanta? I somehow think it's just here and everyone will think I'm crazy but here in Atlanta, we have pollen season. I am highly allergic to most pollens (trees, grasses, and weeds) so unfortunately, beautiful spring weather can be a nightmare for me.

See the yellow stuff on my steps? That's pollen. The stuff you see is pine tree pollen and it doesn't cause allergies because it is too big but it does cover everything in a sticky yellow-green dust. Like this black patio table.

It is a visible sign of what is floating around in the air--lots and lots of too small-to-see pollen grains.
Reflected in my truck Xena's hood (which should be black) is a big oak tree, a major source of pollen too.
(In crazy town (Atlanta), the local paper posts the daily pollen count on a scale from 0 to 120. 120 is extremely high. This week the number reached 5,733!!!! This means there is so much pollen in the air that the air turns yellow-green too and you can taste it. Really. Lots of people have been sick this week because of the pollen and are taking lots of medication (or at least I am...) Karin mentioned that I might emerge from my house around July. I wish. Or at least I wish I had a stylin' haz-mat suit to wear when I venture out to go to work. Here is my footprint in the pollen.

Today's pollen county is *only* 1,941...
I am hoping for a huge rainstorm to wash it all away so I can get something done besides supporting the antihistamine industry and vacuuming.

3 comments:

Karmen said...

I was out playing tennis in it today. Why, oh why? My head, eyes and throat hurt.

Unknown said...

I did yard work today, wearing a mask. You could see all of the pollen just coming up off of the leaves and trees.

Becky said...

I'm staying indoors. I'd love to go for a walk in this glorious weather, but know better. I'll have to be content with the excercise bike indoors. Take care! This is definitely at time to take allergy meds:)