Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Non-Christmas Kind of Year


It's just that kind of year. I am doing the least possible for Christmas this year. No tree, no decorations, no parties, no baking, no cards sent, minimal gifts ordered and send via Internet so I don't have to deal with wrapping and UPS. Don't get me wrong--I can do the whole "Martha" Christmas--bake the 20 different kinds of gourmet cookies that are packaged and delivered to friends and family, the artfully decorated tree, the beautifully wrapped gifts with handmade bows, dinner parties, the whole shebang. I just don't have it in me this year.
I am among the Holiday Orphans this year. No family in town, not going anywhere, most friends are all busy with their families, and I'll be with the other Holiday Orphans at SBux working Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It's always fun working on Christmas so I don't mind it (this will be my 6th Xmas at SBux). Everyone is in a good mood and the customers are fun and happy that we are open. My friend Sam's mom used to have us Orphans all over for dinner each year but they have moved out of state. Last year I went out for Chinese. This year I'm not taking any time off from the Day Job so I will come home do the usual --grab dinner, do some laundry, call the family, and watch some TV.
It just seems like that kind of year. A lot of people I've talked to are in the same blah kind of mood. Maybe it's because the world seems too messed up right now to be festive. The drought here in GA, troops still in Iraq, economy going south, global warming, etc. etc.
The things that I wish for this year are all big and global:
peace
our troops home
New Orleans to be fixed and healed and alive again
ice for the polar bears
clean air for our planet
a government with some sense and who really, truly cares about our country and the world and everyone in it
rain for the south
It's all to unlikely and too big to fit under a tree and maybe that's why I don't have one this year.

No comments: