Tuesday, January 15, 2013

N is for New

2013 is starting out as a new year of big news, new projects, upcoming newness, and future new opportunities.



Let's start with the middle parts first.

New Project.

The N block is a new project I'm frantically working on because.....

Upcoming Newness.

I have a NEW niece or nephew due in the beginning of February.

Yes, the most fabulous, smartest, cutest, wonderful, amazing niece ever is going to have a new baby brother or sister.  [PS: I *may* be biased about my niece Mackenzie--just maybe]  Hooray for being an aunt--again.  I am so excited.  I have the rest of the alphabet made already and am working on alternate blocks.  Better hurry up. Babies wait for no quilters to finish projects.

Big News.

I am only working at one job now.  I resigned from my day job that I've had for the past 14 1/2 years and am now working full time at Starbucks. My last day at the office was January 4th and it was a long time coming, yet still a difficult decision.  It was made easier by some major changes at work in the past six months and that's all I'll say about that.  It was still hard to leave the job that I wanted to have when I was in graduate school.  It  used to be the perfect job for me, but the office changed and the job changed and working for state government sure has changed.  I will miss the work and my coworkers but there are a lot of things I won't miss.  And I love working at Starbucks.  When I took a year and a half off from Starbucks, I missed it. I missed the customers and my coworkers and the company.  So that is what I'm doing right now.  Good thing I have PLENTY of fabric and projects to keep me busy because my fabric acquisition will be nil this year. But I'm already happier and my whole outlook is better so that's a big plus.

Which leaves...

Future New Opportunities.

I'll be on the look out for these.


I'll end with some things I have learned in the past few months:

Sometimes the greatest feat of courage is getting out of bed in the morning (this was the case for much of 2011).

Sometimes knowing that other people believe in you is just as important as believing in yourself.

I have no tolerance for bullies.

8 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

You sound SO GOOD, Gretchen! Bravo!

Carol said...

You were pre-buying preparing for this change! It is very important to have joy in your life!

ytsmom said...

I hope everything goes well for you this year!

a good yarn said...

Great news about your new baby niece/nephew! We spend a lot of time at work so it just doesn't make sense to be miserable there. When the options are available - do what you love.

Ellen in Oregon said...

Kudos to you for making a life altering decision. I know that reaching the decision was the hardest part. I worked for the State right out of Grad School and stuck with it for 20 yrs before leaving. You are so right about how things have changed (certainly not for the better). My official reason for resigning was "Health issues". The unofficial reason was a terrorist manager who was infamous for back stabbing. I never realized how bad it had gotten until three months after I left. I patted myself on the back for making sticking it out as long as I had. Office chemistry is fragile. One day it can be rewarding, even fun & then a new person arrives or a long term one leaves and the whole atmosphere is forever changed. It sounds like Starbucks is a good place to be for now. Human beings need encouragement & appreciation verbalized once in a while, but some people do not grasp this fact. You are a winner and the State has lost another experienced & hard working employee.
Congrads on becoming an Aunt again. I became an Aunt for the 1st time when I was 9 yrs. old. By the time I hit 50 I was a Great Great Aunt. I spoiled all of them rotten and don't regret it a bit. Your gang looks very cumfy wumfy together.

Carol said...

What a fantastic post Gretchen! You sound awesome! I am so happy for you! This is YOUR year! ENJOY it! I'm CELEBRATING with you!

Gari in AL said...

Way ta go!!

Sarah said...

Well done on making the tough decision but the right one. A new niece or nephew will be very exciting!