Saturday, May 7, 2011

Civil War Block Catch Up (Again)

I was way behind on Barbara Brackman's Civil War Block of the Week so I spent most of today catching up. (These are in order from newest to oldest blocks). 
 This week's block is Missouri Star.  I love this block with the two-color star points. 



I especially love these flying geese units.
These units remind me of cat ears.  Wouldn't it be fun to make a quilt with lots of little car ears?  Someone would need to figure out an easier way of making these than the method in the BOW though. That someone should not be me.

Math is not my strong suit although I did take calculus in high school I think I forgotten 97% of the math skills I learned. I think those skills were replaced in my brain by lyrics from songs from high school.  You never know when you may be required to repeat song lyrics from the Dead Milkmen.  Priorities you know. (any Dead Milkmen fans out there?)

OK moving on...

This block is called Union Square and I used two prints from Barbara's Civil War Reunion fabric line for the nine-patch.


 This block is called The Comfort Quilt and I used some indigos and shirtings.  Barbara suggested using these colors for this block to reference woven coverlets used during the time period.














This block is called the White House.  I used a fancy Jo Morton stripe that looked sort of presidential, a gold from my box of scraps (I have no idea when or where I got this fabric but I think it shows up in quite a few of my scrap quilts), and another Jo Morton blue fabric that reminds me of photos of the Blue Room in the real White House.
 This last block is called Fort Sumter.  Again, I used a color scheme suggested by Barbara.  The center square represents the fort (although the real fort is a five-sided fort), the blue represents the water of Charleston harbor where the Ashley and Cooper rivers meet, and the red represents the firing on the fort from Charleston.

I am so glad I am all caught up on this and I can't believe I was so behind.

5 comments:

Michele said...

Congrats on getting so many lovely blocks done :-) Yes I remember many songs from high school, but not much math!

Gina said...

Love the blocks. It's going to be a great quilt

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Carol said...

Oh your blocks are looking wonderful!

dianne said...

way cool! VERY way cool ... and IMPRESSIVE, too.

Unknown said...

I decided to just wait until school is out to get caught up. Love all of your blocks.