Friday, July 24, 2015

With a Little Help from a Black Cat

Yesterday, Remy and I finished up the borders on my "Bounce" quilt.  I did the sewing while Remy did the supervising and the unnecessary application of cat hair (ahem!) 



I left the room for two minutes....

and Remy decided to roll around and wrinkle up the quilt....

It's a good thing he is so cute.

Lint rollers are another good thing.....















early morning light--wrinkles by Remy
Despite Remy's help, I finished up the quilt top and decided to photograph it on the fence this morning to avoid any cat assistance. I used a layer cake of Kate Spain's Cuzco, Moda Bella Solid in Tranquil Aqua, and was inspired by Thelma's version for the border.

This pattern was so much fun to make and would work well with any type/pattern of fabric.  I was really pleased that you could use a layer cake so there aren't scraps left over (I seriously have a scrap basket problem but that is for another day).

I think it took longer to lay out the blocks and decide how to cut them than piece the blocks.  The instructions are clear and it all pieced together perfectly.  There are a couple of different versions included in the pattern. I used version 2 for the star blocks (solid stars instead of pieced center blocks).  My version has two different size stars.  For the pieced border, I cut the strips the same width and grouped the strips by color (similar to Thelma's version).  I can't wait to get this one to a longarm quilter to finish up.

9 comments:

Cathi said...

It's beautiful! I love it! Cat hair adds an added warmth factor to quilts. :-)

greg @ grey dogwood studio said...

I love it, and your choice of background fabric is perfect! This pattern is in my little quilt notebook and I hope to make it someday.

Michelle said...

Love this quilt! Your fabrics are gorgeous...Remy thinks so too!

a good yarn said...

It just looks so good! Kate Spain's fabrics really pop in this quilt and I love the pieced border. Remy is such a good supervisor and he really applies himself to the task. It's important to be thorough.

Michele said...

Beautiful! Im always inspired by your color choices. Thanks for the tips on the pattern. I didn't realize that there were different versions. I guess I really need to get this one out!

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

What a cute quilt supervisor! I have a furry black one of my own. Your quilt turned out beautifully. You did a great job laying out all the blocks!

Nancy Jo said...

Ah Remy, my little heart throb...I'm betting my Snowshoe Siamese/Shorthair mix, Prissy (though we call her "Fuzzy Butt" for some reason), would think Remy was pretty darned handsome. Edgar Poe is a good looking guy too, what's a girl to do with so many cute guys around? Gotta mention that Fuzzy Butt used to leave her more than ample donation of cat hair to everything in my house after we got some weight on her and thickness to her lovely coat a few weeks after we brought her home from the Shelter. Then one day my daughter who is a Petco manager told me to try a "Furminator" de-shedding comb on her. She loves being brushed though this tool feels a little different to her she still purrs the minute I bring it out. I use it on her once a week and her shedding has been cut down to about 1/4 of what it was. All the same, I keep a good supply of "extra sticky" lint rollers in the house at all times. Thing is, they a just so adorable we just don't care about the cat hair on everything, afterall, she is a member of the family and love and joy trumps hair on my quilts. *wink* Big hugs coming to you and lots of good scratches and rubs for your furry kids, with a couple of extras for you know who.
Nancy

Nancy Jo said...

Gretchen, I forgot to tell you how gorgeous your quilts are!!! My health issues have kept me out of the sewing room for months, but I think I might be getting back to it very soon. Knock on wood, LOL. Hugs, Nancy

Linda said...

Love your color choices, especially against the light background. I find it hard to resist any pattern by Miss Rosie and will now have to buy this one.
I have a black kitty named Katy. Lint rollers are my best friend. :)